Monday, May 23, 2011

Colorful Deliciousness a.k.a. Rainbow Hashbrowns (Photo Heavy)





So, I'm trying to get more vegetables in our diets. There are quite a few that my husband doesn't like/won't eat, so I'm trying to be creative. I've been looking through many vegetarian cookbooks lately and I found this recipe. I don't remember what cookbook it was in, and I've changed the recipe a bit, so I'll list it here.

The thing I love about this recipe is that it contains 5 vegetables that my husband doesn't like and a couple that he doesn't care for! It's a great way to get him to eat a variety of veggies without forcing food he hates down his throat. This meal is a little time-consuming on the prep part, but so worth it. So so worth it. I loved every bite and I cannot wait to make it again. I loved photographing all the colors so I took a picture of almost every step, which is really unnecessary, but fun.

This is a really simple recipe. You take a bunch of vegetables (I used potatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, red onions, and carrots), shred them, squeeze the water out of them and then fry them in a skillet with canola or olive oil, just like you would shredded hash browns. Then eat with lots of ketchup! Yum!

I think a way to improve this recipe would be to par-boil the veggies first and drain/press really well. For the harder veggies to cook, the softer veggies have to reach a point of mushiness, which is no fun. In the future, I'll parboil the veggies, dry them, and spread them on a baking sheet to freeze and keep a bag in the freezer for mornings.




No comments:

Post a Comment